Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Cooking in Italy

Yesterday we did something that we had been looking forward to since we got to Italy - we took a cooking class. It was great fun, very informative and delicious.



We first met at a cafe and discussed what Denise and I were interested in cooking. The class was just Denise and I so the whole day was customized for us. Then - as pictured here, we went to the local markets to get all the supplies we would need.
Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
For our main dishes, I wanted to learn to make ravioli from scratch. So our teacher had me make ravioli and Denise make tagliatelle. We made the pasta from scratch, then I made the filling (ricotta and fresh chard) for the ravioli and Denise made a sauce for the noodles.






We made tiramisu for our dessert (dolce). We had eaten so much by the end of the day, we took it home along with some other left-overs.
Denise made a risotto which was great and I made an eggplant dish.



This is Osso Buco searing to get ready for a long slow cook. It is a cut of beef shank that is popular here.



Here is the Osso Buco covered with the soffitto of carrots, celery, onions, and garlic chopped up fine and added with some red wine for the cooking. It cooked for 4 or 5 hours.
I'll post and then continue.
Ciao

Location:Cortona, Italy

No comments:

Post a Comment