Saturday, October 19, 2013

Old Town

There is a geocache (maybe a series) that has to do with the history of Baumholder. There is still a part of the original town wall and some buildings from the end of the fifteenth century. This bit of history is not apparent on casual perusing of town. It is off the main shopping part of town by a few blocks and up a steep incline in town. I had read some about it by copying info from a geocache. I could interpret enough to know the cache was tied into town history and a part of the original wall. Haven't quite figured out the full instructions to follow.
But, I learned enough to go exploring in town and find the place they were talking about in the geocache instructions. I enjoy walking around and "discovering" historical places. I also stopped at one of the local bakeries a had a zimtschnecken and kaffee. (A cinnamon roll and a coffee.) Have to keep up your energy level to trek the hills, right?



Here is the historical marker for all of you who want to try out your German.


This is the building at the top of the map. The original segment of wall still winds through town between these buildings.


This is the tower at the left of the map.


This was on my way off the hill to the main part of town. I can't resist old gates, doors, etc.

Location:Baumholder

No comments:

Post a Comment