Friday, October 4, 2013

Lunch

Trying to get some exercise in walking, so I combined it with a lunch I have been wanting. I had Sara drop me off in Baumholder when she went to an appointment. I went to a restaurant named Zum Stern where I had seen Sauerkraut on the menu. Last year when I was here (contrary to my American stereotypic thinking) I found out they only served it on Fridays. SO, today being Friday, today was the day - not. Now they have changed it to an evening special. BUT, I was saved by an exceptionally nice waitress (who spoke fair English). I walked in and went up to the counter and asked if they had sauerkraut today. She said, "No, I am sorry, not today." So I said thanks anyway and hit the street. A few feet up the sidewalk the waitress hailed me. She said, "We had the sauerkraut for a special last night, let me check with the kitchen and see if they have any, even if its not on the menu today." I went back in as she retreated to the kitchen, returned with a smile and said she could get me some sauerkraut. :-))
When I took a seat she brought a menu and said I could order about anything to go with the kraut since it wasn't listed. Then she suggested German bratwurst and potatoes or - and I stopped her right there and said that sounded great. She seemed pleased that I liked her first suggestion and I got coffee for the wait. Below is the fruits of our combined determination. Now that's what I call a great traditional German meal!
If your ever in Baumholder, give Zum Stern a try. I have eaten there three times now and it was good each time.




As for the exercise part - I left the Restaurant, shopped a little and with some unbelievably good bread and fresh yogurt ( it comes in a jar) in my small backpack I hiked about 8 kilometers (5 miles) back to Zeb's place over hill and dale on a designated country bike trail. It's all good.

Location:Baumholder

1 comment: